Who Am I?

My photo
A nobody; a nitwit; a pilot; a motorcyclist; a raconteur; a lover...of life - who loves to laugh, who tries to not take myself (or anything) too seriously...just a normal guy who knows his place in the universe by being in touch with my spiritual side. What more is there?

28 March 2018

2018: The Summer of Bob


Usually around this time of year I make a boring post about getting ready to leave Pensacola, Florida for my summer job flying helicopters up in Washington. I've been doing that job every year since 2010. It's incredibly fun, and I always look forward to going up there and working with a great bunch of people.

Not this year. It's time to take a break.

I turned 62 this year, and became eligible for Social Security. While this does not weigh heavily on me, it is a number than I cannot ignore. I still think of myself as a fun, young guy. But the image in the mirror tells the real story. I don't feel 62...at least I don't have the various aches and pains that sometimes trouble people my age. I'm not on any medications and I don't have a doctor that I see regularly (other than my flight surgeon every year, briefly). In fact, since I broke my arm in that motorcycle accident back in 2010, I haven't seen the inside of a hospital since.

At 195 pounds I'm not in the best physical shape of my life but I can still ride my motorcycle, and if my buddy Matt and I would get off our asses, I could probably still hike down into Tallulah Gorge - and back up - without the assistance of a medevac helicopter. Or I could paddle a canoe down a slow river.

I used to do a lot of those outdoorsy things. Not so much though in the past seven years. That stupid summer job has meant that I'm away from Florida during the best part of the year. And yeah, it's the best part of the year in Washington too, but I'm committed to at least 120 days (and usually more) of continuous-duty work during the cherry season. Aside from that, there's just not a whole lot to do up there, believe it or not. The people up there are more into winter sports like skiing, hunting and playing on snowmobiles than summer sports like hiking and canoe-camping. (Also, there are bears.)

Last summer, my friend Chris and I wanted to kayak down the beautiful Okanogan River. Trouble was, there were few put-in and take-out points. We scouted all up and down the river, but were unable to find good enough locations to make for a nice long day trip. It was pretty frustrating. We ended up not going.

Plus, I love the beach! I like to cruise to the beach on my motorcycle. I'll find a nice secluded stretch somewhere in the National Seashore, and lay out in the sun. And yes, there are still stretches of Pensacola Beach where you can do that - during the week at least.

And so, before I get too old to do the things I like, I'm going to take this coming summer off. There was a "Seinfeld" episode in which George found himself unemployed but with three months of severance pay. He decides that he's going to be really active – that it will be “The Summer of George!”

Welcome to The Summer of Bob.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Summer of Bob sounds like a splendid idea ... one I should consider myself! Enjoy! 🏖 🏝

Bob Barbanes: said...

You know Bob, we work all our lives to get a point where we can finally enjoy ourselves. And why shouldn't we! I don't *have* work every day anymore. I'm not saying that I'm going to lay around the house and do nothing. But I want to do some fun, non-work things.

I hope you do too! ;)